Moving on…to here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone,

I had mentioned here that I was moving on from Vanilla forums. To be honest, Vanilla forums had a lot of features that I really liked, but unfortunately, most of them were only available on the hosted version, not on the roll-your-own version. 

I was very tempted to just go back to my old forum software, Phorum, but it seems to have been abandoned. The security certificate expired over half a year ago as of this writing, and the last update was almost three years ago. (This sometimes happens, and it makes me sad. A lot of people put a lot of time and effort into projects like that, but in the end, there's just not enough interest to sustain the effort.) After much searching, I've finally settled on MyBB, which has a lot of features that I like, and seems to work well on Opalstack. (Well, except for seo-friendly urls, but I don't much give a crap about SEO. I'm not here for the money, just the adulation  Wink .)

And who knows—Opalstack is still in beta, so I'm sure there are plenty of tweaks they need to make behind the scenes.

Also, I stated on that original post that we shouldn't have to copy any old threads over, because 

Quote:myBB has an import function that should pull in user accounts and forum posts. I'm experimenting around with this on another domain and will transfer it over here when I get it working without a snag.

After several attempts, I can't get that working, so I'm leaving up the old forum for now. But I encourage you to register and post here, as the old forum will eventually get locked and then go away entirely.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond below.

Thanks,
-Ken
“The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn.” — Marcus Aurelius
Hello everyone,

I had mentioned here that I was moving on from Vanilla forums. To be honest, Vanilla forums had a lot of features that I really liked, but unfortunately, most of them were only available on the hosted version, not on the roll-your-own version. 

I was very tempted to just go back to my old forum software, Phorum, but it seems to have been abandoned. The security certificate expired over half a year ago as of this writing, and the last update was almost three years ago. (This sometimes happens, and it makes me sad. A lot of people put a lot of time and effort into projects like that, but in the end, there's just not enough interest to sustain the effort.) After much searching, I've finally settled on MyBB, which has a lot of features that I like, and seems to work well on Opalstack. (Well, except for seo-friendly urls, but I don't much give a crap about SEO. I'm not here for the money, just the adulation  Wink .)

And who knows—Opalstack is still in beta, so I'm sure there are plenty of tweaks they need to make behind the scenes.

Also, I stated on that original post that we shouldn't have to copy any old threads over, because 

Quote:myBB has an import function that should pull in user accounts and forum posts. I'm experimenting around with this on another domain and will transfer it over here when I get it working without a snag.

After several attempts, I can't get that working, so I'm leaving up the old forum for now. But I encourage you to register and post here, as the old forum will eventually get locked and then go away entirely.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond below.

Thanks,
-Ken
“The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn.” — Marcus Aurelius